Sunday Patriots practice report: Still no Albert Haynesworth
|08.14.11 at 5:05 pm ET|
FOXBORO — While the Patriots coaching staff maintains that he is making steady progress toward returning to the practice field, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth again was a no-show on Sunday at a lengthy practice in full pads on the grass fields behind Gillette Stadium.
The practice was a long one but in unseasonably cool conditions as the coaching staff is clearly working at building up conditioning, a point Logan Mankins made to reporters after practice.
It was a good day to watch Tom Brady hook up with Chad Ochocinco, once on a long pass over the middle, beating safety Patrick Chung in down-and-distance work. Ocho later beat corner Devin McCourty cleanly in 7-on-7 drills a short while later.
Rookie Nate Solder was reminded of the attention to details Bill Belichick and the rest of the coaching staff demand as he jumped offside and ran a lap around the field midway through down-and-distance work. Steve Maneri took his place momentarily at left tackle. Also on the first-team offensive line were Mankins, Dan Koppen, Dan Connolly and Sebastian Vollmer.
The reason Maneri was called upon is that Matt Light has not yet been placed in full offensive line practice mode. Light attended practice for the second straight day and was again limited mainly to one-on-one and individual skill work while being kept out of group situational work.
While the group work was taking place on the West practice field, Steve Gostkowski was showing that he still has a strong leg, attempting three from 60 yards. The first one hit the crossbar. The second fell about 15 yards short before back-up Chris Koepplin raised his two arms in approval on the third, prompting a Washington Redskins “Smurf” style celebration from Gostkowski, holder Zoltan Mesko and snapper Matt Katula.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL