Chad Ochocinco scores as Patriots lead Bucs after first quarter
|08.18.11 at 8:18 pm ET|
After forcing a three-and-out on the first drive of the game, the Patriots’ offense and Aaron Hernandez got off to a much better start than they did last week. After a 28-yard scamper from Danny Woodhead, the Pats came out in a three tight-end set and Tom Brady hit Hernandez for a 17-yard touchdown.
Hernandez had fumbled on the first offensive play of the preseason opener as part of a two-fumble night for the second-year tight end. He was much better in the first quarter in Tampa, catching all there passes thrown his way for 42 receiving yards.
Chad Ochocinco made his preseason debut with the Pats, scoring an easy touchdown in the back of the end zone after he and Brady failed to connect on their first two passes. Buccaneers rookie Mason Foster made helmet-to-helmet contact with Ochocinco as the veteran receiver went to reel in a pass from Brady, resulting in a 59-yard unnecessary roughness penalty.
Bill Belichick took Brady out for the beginning of the Pats’ third offensive drive, though Brady came back in later in the drive after Brian Hoyer started it. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who did not play last week, ran up the middle late in the quarter to set up a first-and-goal. He ran it in on the following play to give the Pats a three-touchdown league.
Defensively, the Patriots and their rotating defensive tackles swelled out anything Josh Freeman and the Tampa offense attempted. Linebacker Jerod Mayo picked up the first sack of the night for the Patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick