Some Friday evening personnel notes and analysis on the Patriots
|08.19.11 at 6:44 pm ET|
Defensive back James Ihedigbo tweeted Friday evening that he was joining the Patriots. The UMass product wrote: Thanks to #jetsfans for all the love an support greatly appreciate it’s on to a new chapter…..I’m Officially a New England Patriot!!!!!! (UPDATE: 8:30 p.m.: The Patriots made the announcement official via Twitter.) Ihedigbo is a 6-foot-1, 214-pound safety who has spent three seasons in the NFL, all of them with the Jets. The 27-year-old had his finest season last year with New York, finishing with 22 tackles and three sacks in 14 games. The Patriots are thin at safety ‘ following the injury to Bret Lockett on Thursday against the Bucs, New England is down to just three healthy safeties ‘ so the move definitely makes sense from a depth perspective.
In addition, the Patriots worked out free-agent running back Clinton Portis, according to The Boston Herald. The 29-year-old Portis, a 5-foot-11, 219-pounder out of the University of Miami, was released by the Redskins in a salary cap move this spring. A second-round pick in 2002 by the Broncos, Portis has 2,230 carries for 9,923 yards and 76 touchdowns over over his nine-year career, the last seven of which were spent with Washington. This move can be filed under the “due diligence” category ‘ while the Patriots were likely intrigued with the former All-Pro running back, questions remain about his health. In addition, New England appears overloaded at the position, so the possibility of Portis signing with the Patriots is probably remote at best.
And finally, ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss tweeted that the Patriots had former Boston College linebacker Ricky Brown in for a workout. The 6-foot-2, 235-pounder has played the last five seasons in Oakland as a middle linebacker. In his career, the 27-year-old has 102 tackles and four passes defensed.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...