Vince Wilfork has ‘moved on’ from Nevin Shapiro scandal
|08.22.11 at 1:37 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Speaking publicly for the first time since last week’s Yahoo.com story implicated him in the Nevin Shapiro scandal, accusing him of accepting $50,000 in a lump sum payment during his junior season at the University of Miami, Vince Wilfork said he has moved on and is focused on football and the Detroit Lions this week.
“It’s tough,” Wilfork said before heading out to practice at Gillette Stadium on Monday. “I released a statement a couple of days ago and that’s where I’m at with it. I have moved forward. I’m done with that situation and I’m just focused on my football career. One thing I don’t want to do is be a distraction to this team, to this organization. I won’t be that. My teammates stuck behind me 100 percent. My family, the organization. I’ve moved forward. I’m definitely towards the Detroit Lions now and it feels good to be around a great group of guys, it feels real good.”
After the story broke last Tuesday, Wilfork gave his initial response via his twitter page:
I am aware of the report that has claims that involve me while at the U. While the NCAA and the U conduct their investigations [my wife] and I believe that it is not appropriate for us to comment.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...