Heath Evans on D&C: Bill Belichick ‘the funniest guy I’ve ever been around’
|08.26.11 at 10:16 am ET|
Former Patriots fullback Heath Evans, who this week announced his retirement from the NFL and a new job with the NFL Network, spoke with Dennis & Callahan Friday morning. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Evans said the move from the field to television has been a welcome change.
‘The only thing I miss is the guys,’ Evans said. ‘I don’t miss being sore. I don’t miss being yelled and cussed at. I don’t miss having to be up every morning at 5.’
While in the last two years in New Orleans his career seemed headed toward the broadcasting booth, Evans said he didn’t think that way when he was with the Patriots.
‘I played for Bill Belichick for four years,’ Evans said. ‘Do you think it was an easy job giving good interviews and good speeches?’
Evans called Belichick ‘the funniest guy I’ve ever been around in my life,’ adding that Belichick probably enjoyed Wes Welker‘s foot comments prior the Patriots’ playoff game against the Jets last season.
‘Inside, Bill Belichick thought that was hilarious,’ Evans said, adding: ‘But Bill also knows the ground that he runs his teams on, and there is no going back on what he says, and there is no going against what he says.’
Looking at the upcoming season, Evans said that Albert Haynesworth can ‘wreak havoc for that defense.’
‘At his age, and at really his accomplishment level, too, he needs someone to motivate him,’ Evans said. ‘It’s been proven that he can’t motivate himself.’
Belichick’s focus on ‘discipline” makes him an ideal coach to properly motivate Haynesworth, Evans said. If Haynseworth doesn’t work out, Evans said Belichick and Robert Kraft were smart enough to structure Haynesworth’s contract to give the Patriots easy outs.
‘Albert won’t be laughing all the way to the bank this time,’ Evans said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...