Jerod Mayo wins Patriots’ community MVP award
|08.30.11 at 10:59 pm ET|
Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo was honored for his charitable work on Tuesday night with the 2011 New England Patriots Ron Burton Community Service Award, presented at the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation’s Annual Kickoff Gala. The award, named in honor of the late Ron Burton (the first player drafted by the franchise), goes to the player who makes the biggest impact in the community through his charity work.
‘In his three short years in New England, Jerod has made large contributions both on and off the field,’ said Patriots chairman and CEO Robert Kraft. ‘Both in uniform and and as an active volunteer in the community, he has done everything asked of him and more. He continually makes us proud to have drafted him in 2008. He is a most deserving recipient of the Ron Burton Award.’
In 2010, Mayo launched The Mayo Bowl, an annual celebrity bowling event to raise funds to improve the lives of children in New England. He has also been actively involved in Patriots Kids Cafes, which provide hot meals for youth who may not receive them at home, and has participated in the Patriots annual children’s holiday party.
“Since the day I was drafted here, the Kraft family really told me to be a good football player, but they also stressed to me to be good in the community and give back,” Mayo said after receiving the award on Tuesday night.
“It feels so fortunate to be in a great place like this — just to have role models like these past winners [Kevin Faulk, Vince Wilfork and Matt Light], Mr. Kraft and most importantly, Mrs. Myra Kraft. Not only did she give with her funds and things like that but her time. She was on the front lines, digging the holes, putting the trees up and things like that. Just seeing examples like that really means a lot to me and hopefully I can be an example for these younger guys. I appreciate it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know