Patriots reportedly release Niko Koutouvides, which is likely good news for Tracy White
|09.03.11 at 2:05 pm ET|
The Patriots have decided to release linebacker Niko Koutouvides, according to reports.
The 6-foot-2, 238-pound linebacker out of Purdue was signed by New England as a free agent on Aug. 14, and was primarily a special teamer this preseason with the Patriots. The 30-year-old was originally drafted by Seattle in the fourth round (116th overall) of the 2004 NFL draft, and has also played with Denver and Tampa Bay.
Koutouvides, Ricky Brown and Tracy White were all angling for the job of special teams linebacker (a position popularized by former Patriot Larry Izzo) this preseason, but with the release of both Koutouvides and Brown, it appears that White will return for a second season with the Patriots in that role.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?
- Can Garoppolo Carry Patriots in Brady's Absence?