Patriots reportedly release Niko Koutouvides, which is likely good news for Tracy White
|09.03.11 at 2:05 pm ET|
The Patriots have decided to release linebacker Niko Koutouvides, according to reports.
The 6-foot-2, 238-pound linebacker out of Purdue was signed by New England as a free agent on Aug. 14, and was primarily a special teamer this preseason with the Patriots. The 30-year-old was originally drafted by Seattle in the fourth round (116th overall) of the 2004 NFL draft, and has also played with Denver and Tampa Bay.
Koutouvides, Ricky Brown and Tracy White were all angling for the job of special teams linebacker (a position popularized by former Patriot Larry Izzo) this preseason, but with the release of both Koutouvides and Brown, it appears that White will return for a second season with the Patriots in that role.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know