Report: Patriots release safety Brandon Meriweather
|09.03.11 at 3:15 pm ET|
As the deadline for roster cuts loomed Saturday afternoon, multiple reports indicated the Patriots were attempting to trade the safety. Meriweather, a first-round pick of New England in 2007, had been a lightning rod for controversy over the course of his four-year career, and has moved up and down the depth chart over the last two seasons.
After Thursday’s presesason finale – in which he sat in the first half and started the second half with back-ups – Meriweather admitted he ‘didn’t know his situation’ but was still looking forward to preparing for the season-opener in Miami on Sept. 12.
His playing time has been up and down over the course of the preseason, and saw a significant dip in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Giants, where he was on the field late into the second half with the backups. After the game, he appeared to shrug off any worries.
‘Coach always tells us [to] be ready to play for 60 minutes,’ he told reporters after the game. ‘At any point he can put you in or take you out. Coach is going to do whatever he thinks is best for the team, and everybody else just has to live with it.
‘I don’t know my situation,’ Meriweather added. ‘I think our coaches do a great job rotating all us in. And playing a lot of guys. Getting a lot of guys a lot of playing time with other people to see how they play together so you know you never know your situation until it’s time.’
In all, the 5-foot-11, 200-pounder played in all 64 games with 40 starts over his first four NFL seasons with the Patriots, and was a two-time Pro Bowler. His best year likely came in 2009, when he earned his first Pro Bowl berth after finishing with career highs with 83 tackles and five interceptions.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...