Aye, Aye captain: Devin McCourty, Matthew Slater and Logan Mankins among six Patriots captains
|09.08.11 at 10:52 am ET|
FOXBORO — In a vote among players, Devin McCourty has earned a place as a captain on the 2011 Patriots in just his second NFL season, according to a report in the Boston Herald.
The players voted the second-year corner as one of six team captains and one of three on defense, joining Vince Wilfork and Jerod Mayo. On the offensive side, Tom Brady and Logan Mankins were voted in as captains while Matthew Slater was voted as a special teams captain.
“I would also say I think we have a lot of good leadership on this team,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said on Wednesday. “And regardless of who the captains are, I think the leadership will come from all the players who provide that, not just the captains.”
Joining McCourty as first-year captains are Mankins and Slater. Mankins is entering his seventh NFL season while Slater has established himself as one of the most-trusted on special teams, and is entering his fourth season in the league.
Mayo is in his second year as captain on defense in his fourth year in the league while Brady is the senior member of the captains group in his 12th NFL season, 10th straight as a team captain.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots