Jerod Mayo knows this year the D is on him
|09.08.11 at 4:41 pm ET|
FOXBORO — There was a very telling moment for the Patriots defense during the third preseason game in Detroit.
It came late in the first half when Shaun Hill found Aaron Brown for a 9-yard TD connection over the middle.
The key to the play was when Brown seal his man – Jerod Mayo – to the outside and cut back in over the middle, where there wasn’t a Patriots defender to be found. Mayo pointed to the middle, trying in vain to inform his teammates of the breakdown but it was too late and no one came over to help.
He and teammate Patrick Chung immediately had words, trying to figure out what went wrong. The Patriots had themselves a “teaching” moment.
Mayo, who was named a defensive captain for the second straight year on Thursday, knows the responsibility is his to make sure everyone is on the same page.
“Everyone is learning defense at the same pace and communication is huge, and it starts with me. If there’s a busted call or busted play out there it’s probably my fault.”
Patriots coach Bill Belichick confirmed on Wednesday that Mayo would again be the primary signal-caller on defense in 2011.
“Making sure everyone is on the same page is my job and hopefully I get it done,” Mayo said.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?
- Can Garoppolo Carry Patriots in Brady's Absence?
- Latest on Patriots WR Danny Amendola's Injury
- Patriots Players on Notice After 2016 Offseason Roster Moves