Deion Branch on 9/11: ‘It’s always a thought’
|09.09.11 at 3:32 pm ET|
FOXBORO — This Sunday, millions of Americans will reflect on the events of 10 years ago.
“I was on a bridge going to the [Student Athletic Center],” Branch said. “Just seeing all the students talking about downtown and planes and everything. I was trying to get to the television to trying to see what’s what. It was real scary looking at that. And your heart goes out to those individuals who were in those buildings, and also the families who suffer from that, the firefighters, everybody. I’m pretty sure, somehow, someway, everybody was affected by that.”
Branch and the Patriots will be on a plane this Sunday on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. He admitted that as a public figure and sports celebrity, there isn’t a day that goes by without thinking of security.
“Always. We know it’s our job but we also have families and friends, guys in the military, close relatives and everything like that. It’s always a thought,” Branch said.
It’s become somewhat of an informal tradition for the Patriots to keep at least one player on their military reserve roster, as allowed by the NFL. Wide receiver Shun White – from Navy – is on that role for the Patriots. Meanwhile, in camp this summer, another wide receiver and former member of the team’s military reserve list – Tyree Barnes – made headlines for his military service by fighting pirates off the coast of Somalia for the U.S. Navy.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Feature Formidable 3-Man Pass-Rush Rotation
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?