Devin McCourty on D&C: ‘Whatever message [Tom Brady] sends to the fans, I’m behind it 100 percent’
|09.16.11 at 9:00 am ET|
Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty made his weekly appearance on the Dennis & Callahan show Friday as he prepares for Sunday’s game against the Chargers. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Tom Brady started a controversy this week when he implied that Patriots fans should start drinking early Sunday in preparation for the 4:15 start, as he wants the fans to be loud and rowdy.
Said McCourty: “Whatever Tom says, whatever message he sends to the fans, I’m behind it 100 percent. ‘¦ Whatever Tom says, I’m with it.”
The Chargers arrive with a potent offense, led by quarterback Philip Rivers.
“Out of all the quarterbacks we play, he’s definitely the top quarterback in this league,” McCourty said. “So, you have to be prepared for Philip, because he’s going to make every throw on the field, and he’s going to be accurate with that throw. So, you have to always be in great position if you want to even get close to making a play.”
McCourty likely will have the assignment of defending Vincent Jackson Sunday, six days after drawing a tough matchup against Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall. “I’m kind of expecting that same battle,” McCourty said. “Week by week, it doesn’t get any easier.”
Veteran tight end Antonio Gates also will provide the Patriots with a challenge.
“He’s been getting open for years in this league,” McCourty said. “No matter how you break it down, he finds a way to get open against defenses. That will be the key, to just stay on him, stay tight to him no matter what. Because he finds a way to get open no matter if you double-team, single-team, he gets open.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?