Analysis: Impact of Pryor’s move to IR, and a look at the newest Patriot, Phillip Adams
|09.21.11 at 12:41 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots’ decision to move defensive lineman Myron Pryor to injured reserve with a groin injury robs them of some flexibility up front, and places more on the shoulders of the returning Landon Cohen.
The 25-year-old Pryor, a 6-foot-1, 310-pounder who was taken in the sixth round of the 2009 draft out of Kentucky, has proven himself to be more of a penetrating defensive lineman with an ability to get after the quarterback. In two games this season, he has three tackles, 0.5 sacks (for 4.5 yards) and three quarterback hits. The Patriots are betting that the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Cohen, who had a cup of coffee with the Patriots last season (he played in two games with one start for the 2010 Patriots, finishing with three tackles) can replicate some of that ability.
It also appears that New England is set to add cornerback Phillip Adams to the roster — the former 49ers defensive back was in the locker room during media availability on Wednesday morning. He politely declined interview requests. The 23-year-old out of South Carolina State played in 15 games with San Francisco last season, finishing with 13 tackles and one pass defensed. Checking in at 5-foot-11 and 192 pounds, he was selected in the seventh round with the 224th overall pick by the 49ers in the 2010 draft. According to reports out of the Bay Area, Adams played with an injured ankle last season, which limited his performance but was not seriously enough to place him on the PUP list.
While Cohen and Pryor will essentially trade roster spots, the Patriots have not announced a corresponding roster move to free up space for Adams. (UPDATE, 1:03 p.m.: The Patriots have announced they will move center Dan Koppen to injured reserve to make room for Adams.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...