Bill Belichick: ‘We looked at Plaxico in the offseason’
|10.04.11 at 4:07 pm ET|
Bill Belichick said Tuesday the Patriots looked at wide receiver Plaxico Burress in the offseason, but said, ‘some things come together, some don’t’ when pressed about the possibility of New England landing the controversial pass catcher.
The Patriots did end up making a deal for a veteran wide receiver in Chad Ochocinco, but apparently did their due diligence when it came to checking into Burress.
‘We did look at him in the offseason, just because of his general availability as we normally do ‘ look at all the players that are not connected with a team,’ Belichick said on a conference call with reporters. ‘We look at everybody. Obviously, you don’t get everybody. Some things come together, some don’t. We’ll work with what we’ve got. They’ll work with what they’ve got, see how it goes.’
Burress, who eventually signed a one-year, $3.017 million with the Jets this past offseason after serving a 22-month prison term on a gun charge, has 10 catches for 160 yards and two touchdowns this season with New York.
‘He hasn’t played in a while until this year, and I think there’s plenty to go off of this year,’ Belichick said of Burress, who scored the game-winning touchdown to help beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. ‘He played quite a bit in preseason. Of course he’s played here during the regular season. I think kind of what we normally see from him ‘ strong, physical guy, [who] can go up and get the ball. Even if he’s covered, he’s really not covered because he’s capable of going up and taking the ball away from the defender. [He’s] good down the field, good on the catch-and-runs [and a] hard guy to tackle.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...