Bill Belichick: ‘We looked at Plaxico in the offseason’
|10.04.11 at 4:07 pm ET|
Bill Belichick said Tuesday the Patriots looked at wide receiver Plaxico Burress in the offseason, but said, ‘some things come together, some don’t’ when pressed about the possibility of New England landing the controversial pass catcher.
The Patriots did end up making a deal for a veteran wide receiver in Chad Ochocinco, but apparently did their due diligence when it came to checking into Burress.
‘We did look at him in the offseason, just because of his general availability as we normally do ‘ look at all the players that are not connected with a team,’ Belichick said on a conference call with reporters. ‘We look at everybody. Obviously, you don’t get everybody. Some things come together, some don’t. We’ll work with what we’ve got. They’ll work with what they’ve got, see how it goes.’
Burress, who eventually signed a one-year, $3.017 million with the Jets this past offseason after serving a 22-month prison term on a gun charge, has 10 catches for 160 yards and two touchdowns this season with New York.
‘He hasn’t played in a while until this year, and I think there’s plenty to go off of this year,’ Belichick said of Burress, who scored the game-winning touchdown to help beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. ‘He played quite a bit in preseason. Of course he’s played here during the regular season. I think kind of what we normally see from him ‘ strong, physical guy, [who] can go up and get the ball. Even if he’s covered, he’s really not covered because he’s capable of going up and taking the ball away from the defender. [He’s] good down the field, good on the catch-and-runs [and a] hard guy to tackle.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Former Patriots, Miami CB Leonard Myers Dies at Age 38
- Tom Brady, Patriots Reportedly Have Mutual Interest in New Contract
- Jimmy Garoppolo Reportedly May Remain with Patriots Despite Trade Rumors
- Biggest Challenges Facing New England Patriots in 2017 Offseason
- Tom Brady's Super Bowl 51 Comeback to Be Made into Book and Feature Film
- Malcolm Butler's Life Story to Be Subject of Biographical Movie
- Julian Edelman Says Jimmy Garoppolo Has Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers...