Bill Belichick: ‘We looked at Plaxico in the offseason’
|10.04.11 at 4:07 pm ET|
Bill Belichick said Tuesday the Patriots looked at wide receiver Plaxico Burress in the offseason, but said, ‘some things come together, some don’t’ when pressed about the possibility of New England landing the controversial pass catcher.
The Patriots did end up making a deal for a veteran wide receiver in Chad Ochocinco, but apparently did their due diligence when it came to checking into Burress.
‘We did look at him in the offseason, just because of his general availability as we normally do ‘ look at all the players that are not connected with a team,’ Belichick said on a conference call with reporters. ‘We look at everybody. Obviously, you don’t get everybody. Some things come together, some don’t. We’ll work with what we’ve got. They’ll work with what they’ve got, see how it goes.’
Burress, who eventually signed a one-year, $3.017 million with the Jets this past offseason after serving a 22-month prison term on a gun charge, has 10 catches for 160 yards and two touchdowns this season with New York.
‘He hasn’t played in a while until this year, and I think there’s plenty to go off of this year,’ Belichick said of Burress, who scored the game-winning touchdown to help beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. ‘He played quite a bit in preseason. Of course he’s played here during the regular season. I think kind of what we normally see from him ‘ strong, physical guy, [who] can go up and get the ball. Even if he’s covered, he’s really not covered because he’s capable of going up and taking the ball away from the defender. [He’s] good down the field, good on the catch-and-runs [and a] hard guy to tackle.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...