Patrick Chung on M&M: ‘You’ve got to play hurt sometimes’
|10.07.11 at 11:41 am ET|
Patriots defensive back Patrick Chung joined the Mut & Merloni show Friday as part of WEEI’s Patriots Friday. To hear the interview, go to the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page.
The Patriots defense ranks last in opposing quarterback rating outside the red zone but first inside the 20, offering a glimmer of hope.
“The game is about limiting the points,” Chung said. “You have to stop them in the red zone. They drive down the field and all they get is three points or nothing, it’s a bad drive but it’s a good ending. It’s all about the finish. If you finish good, finish strong, we have another chance.”
Added Chung: “That’s what’s going to win and lose you games — third down and red area. So, we have to limit them to that and we’ll be all right.”
Chung played against the Raiders last Sunday with a cast protecting his surgically repaired right thumb, but he’s not interested in making excuses.
“I can’t think about it,” he said. “You pad it up and you play your game. If it hurts, it hurts. If you can’t play, you can’t play. But you’ve got to play hurt sometimes. So, you get right, get your mind right, and just play football. Because if you try to take one hit out of your game, it’s going to mess you up. You’ve got to just play football and deal with the pain for a little bit.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England