Andre Carter on M&M: ‘This is a steppingstone’ for Patriots defense
|10.17.11 at 1:22 pm ET|
Patriots defensive end Andre Carter checked in with the Mut & Merloni show Monday morning, one day after recording two sacks in the 20-16 victory over the Cowboys.
“Numbers are one thing, but I just think in general just continue to be successful, especially in those situations that you witnessed yesterday,” Carter said. “That was just another steppingstone as far as our development, as far as becoming a good defense. There was definitely that one particular series where they had that long drive, but besides everything else, we got ourselves a turnover and provided some field position. We held our ground and did our part. That in itself shows what our potential can be if we continue to play that way.”
Carter said it’s taking time for the new players — himself included — to get comfortable in the Patriots defense.
“The scheme, especially this 4-3 scheme, it is a little bit different. I’m still trying to find a way to understand it,” he said. “But I think one thing, like any other defense, communication is always the key. Communication on where guys need to be at any given play or any given time. During the beginning of the season, it has been inconsistent. As a group, we’ve discussed, ‘OK, what do we need to do to get better. How do we continue to get better?’ It starts through practice. It starts through game study. So, we’ve talked about this. The coaches have always discussed each and every day what we need to do to, how we can be a good team, just to evolve, being the defense that you have seen, as you know, last night.
“There’s still little things that we can always clean up each and every week. Not every game’s going to be perfect. But overall, we can just kind of shake our heads and say this is a steppingstone.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...
- Former Patriots, Miami CB Leonard Myers Dies at Age 38
- Tom Brady, Patriots Reportedly Have Mutual Interest in New Contract
- Jimmy Garoppolo Reportedly May Remain with Patriots Despite Trade Rumors