Belichick: Play of Haynesworth against the Cowboys was ‘encouraging’
|10.17.11 at 6:18 pm ET|
Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the performance of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth Sunday against the Cowboys was ‘encouraging’ given the fact that he’s missed playing time because of a back problem he suffered earlier in the season.
Haynesworth was on the sideline for Weeks Three and Four with a back problem. He returned to action last week against the Jets and according to Pro Football Focus, he played 21 snaps in the victory over New York. And on Sunday, he was on the field for 27 snaps in the win over the Cowboys, mostly working in third-down defensive packages.
‘I think missed time is a little bit of a hurdle for anybody,’ Belichick said of Haynesworth, who had a quarterback hit in the win over Dallas. ‘I think Albert has been — the more he’s practiced, the more regularly he’s practiced and played, the better he’s been. I thought he had several good plays yesterday. It was encouraging.’
Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio echoed Belichick.
‘I think the more Albert has practiced and been able to work on some of the techniques and some of the things that we’re doing in practice, then that starts to carry over into the game,’ Caserio said of Haynesworth, who was obtained from the Redskins for a fifth-round draft choice in 2013. ‘It’s a good start. [We] still have a long way to go here, but certainly it’s encouraging with some of the things that he has done.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...