Belichick: Play of Haynesworth against the Cowboys was ‘encouraging’
|10.17.11 at 6:18 pm ET|
Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the performance of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth Sunday against the Cowboys was ‘encouraging’ given the fact that he’s missed playing time because of a back problem he suffered earlier in the season.
Haynesworth was on the sideline for Weeks Three and Four with a back problem. He returned to action last week against the Jets and according to Pro Football Focus, he played 21 snaps in the victory over New York. And on Sunday, he was on the field for 27 snaps in the win over the Cowboys, mostly working in third-down defensive packages.
‘I think missed time is a little bit of a hurdle for anybody,’ Belichick said of Haynesworth, who had a quarterback hit in the win over Dallas. ‘I think Albert has been — the more he’s practiced, the more regularly he’s practiced and played, the better he’s been. I thought he had several good plays yesterday. It was encouraging.’
Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio echoed Belichick.
‘I think the more Albert has practiced and been able to work on some of the techniques and some of the things that we’re doing in practice, then that starts to carry over into the game,’ Caserio said of Haynesworth, who was obtained from the Redskins for a fifth-round draft choice in 2013. ‘It’s a good start. [We] still have a long way to go here, but certainly it’s encouraging with some of the things that he has done.’
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board