Bill Belichick kind of defends Chad Ochocinco on Big Show
|10.17.11 at 5:28 pm ET|
Patriots coach Bill Belichick fielded multiple questions regarding Chad Ochocinco in his weekly appearance with Glenn Ordway and Michael Holley on The Big Show Monday. The Pats sent two picks to the Bengals in the offseason in exchange for the receiver, but have gotten little statistical production from the veteran. Through six games, Ochocinco is fifth on the team with nine receptions and 136 receiving yards. He has yet to score a touchdown this season.
“What we’re expecting to do is to win. It’s to go out there and move the ball and score points. I feel like we’re doing a pretty good job of that, so if we can produce offensively as a team, and everybody’s doing their job, which involves a lot of different things, then that’s good. If we’re not, then we’re going to try to do it better. We’re going to try to do it better anyway. ‘¦ It’s how we function as a team.
“If guys are doing their job, they’re going to play more, they’re going to get more opportunities, they’re going to be on the field. If they’re not, then somebody else will probably be doing it instead of them.”
Ochocinco was on the field for only seven offensive snaps Sunday and did not have a catch.
“Some of that is game-plan related,” Belichick said. “It’s not the number of snaps, it’s the amount of production with the opportunities. Obviously, players that only get so many opportunities are going to have few opportunities to have the production of other players. The important thing is when they do get those opportunities, that they make the most of them in whatever their job, whatever their assignment is on that particular play. That’s really how I look at it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL