Rex Ryan: If the Chargers hired me in 2007, I’d have a couple of rings by now
|10.19.11 at 10:14 pm ET|
Rex Ryan is at it again.
Ryan, who interviewed for the head coaching job in San Diego four years ago — a job that ended up going to Norv Turner — said Wednesday that if the Chargers had hired him back then, he would have won ‘a couple of rings.’
‘I’m telling you, those teams were loaded,’ Ryan told San Diego reporters when asked about how things would have unfolded if he were hired by Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. ‘There’s no question about it.’
Ryan, whose team will face San Diego this weekend, then took a step back.
‘But things happen for a reason,’ he added. ‘Obviously, Norv Turner has done a great job there. And A.J. (Smith) and everybody ‘¦ that’s a great franchise. He was probably the best guy for the job at that time.’
While it’s debatable as to whether or not the quote could be construed as a shot at Turner, the statement certainly implies that Turner, who has been to one conference championship in his career with the Chargers but hasn’t won a Super Bowl, has failed to get the most out of a ‘loaded’ team like San Diego.
Regardless, Turner later said Ryan called him, but didn’t reveal specifics of the call. He later said everything was OK between the two, saying the league didn’t need any more coach-on-coach drama in the wake of the postgame flap last week between San Francisco’s Jim Harbaugh and Detroit’s Jim Schwartz. He did however, take a little shot of his own at Ryan.
‘I hadn’t seen his quote and I was a little bit surprised by the call,’ Turner said, via the Associated Press. ‘And then after I saw the quote, I didn’t have a chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he’s guaranteed the last couple of years.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...