Devin McCourty on D&C: ‘Got to try to match’ Steelers’ physicality
|10.28.11 at 10:05 am ET|
Patriots defensive back Devin McCourty made his weekly appearance on the Dennis & Callahan show Friday morning, as the Patriots prepare for Sunday’s game in Pittsburgh. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
The Steelers are 5-2, but they have no impressive wins. They are 0-2 against teams that currently have winning records. However, McCourty said he expects a typically tough Steelers team.
“They have a physical team, they have guys that will hit you and they kind of get after it. I don’t think anybody’s that’s played the Pittsburgh Steelers kind of goes into this game thinking that [it will be easy]. They going into the game knowing they’re a very physical team and you’ve got to try to match that or it will be a long day for you.”
Third-year receiver Mike Wallace has shown no signs of slowing down after a very productive 2010, and McCourty and the Patriots have taken note.
“He’s probably the fastest receiver in the NFL,” McCourty said. “I’m sure a couple of receivers will argue that, but if you see him on film, he’s just moving past everyone.”
Added McCourty: “I think you just have to always be aware of where he’s at and what he’s able to do, getting vertical down the field. Even after he catches the ball, just try to surround him because he can break tackles. And if he breaks one tackle, he has a chance to go the distance.”
Wallace is only one of the Steelers’ weapons on offense. Of course, it all starts with Ben Roethlisberger.
“He’s a little different quarterback than really anybody in the NFL with his strength,” McCourty said. “His arm strength is good, but just his natural strength as a player, he’s able to make defensive linemen miss sometimes, break tackles. What you think sometimes is a sack, he’s able to escape and throw the ball deep — real deep — and then he’s got guys that can run under it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...