Key Moment: Steelers pick up a pair of big third-down conversions in the second half
|10.30.11 at 7:55 pm ET|
Pittsburgh was able to convert most of their third-down opportunities on the afternoon against New England, picking up first downs on 10 of their 16 chances. However, the Steelers were able to convert a pair of third-and-long situations in the second half that turned out to be absolute killers and allowing Pittsburgh to keep a pair of drives alive.
The first came with Pittsburgh facing a 3rd and 15 situation with nine minutes remaining in the third quarter. The Steelers were able to pick up the first when Ben Roethlisberger hooked up with Emmanuel Sanders on a 17-yard pass play down the middle of the field. It allowed Pittsburgh to keep moving the chains on the sequence, a series that came to an end five plays later when Shaun Suisham connected on a 21-yard field goal to make it 20-10.
The second big conversion came with the Steelers in a 3rd and 12 with 1:32 left in the third quarter. On that one, Roethlisberger delivered a short pass over the middle to Antonio Brown for a 19-yard gain. The Steelers would cash in again later on the drive when Suisham again delivered, this time knocking home a 23-yarder early in the fourth to make it 23-10.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...