Jerod Mayo on M&M: ‘Tough to hear’ criticism from Steelers’ Hines Ward
|11.04.11 at 11:57 am ET|
Working his way back from a knee injury, Mayo was on the field for less than half of the defensive plays in Sunday’s loss to the Steelers.
“It’s coming along,” Mayo said of his knee. “Just working every day, trying to get it better each and every day. Hopefully, it continues to improve.”
Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison was critical of the defense and the strategy after Sunday’s loss to the Steelers. Mayo brushed off the comments.
“Rodney’s going to say what he wants to say,” Mayo said. “He’s not in this locker room. I’m loyal to these guys in this locker room. Rodney’s a great player. He’s entitled to his opinion. I think we have the guys on this team and on this defense to be successful and to be a good defense.”
“It’s tough to hear things like that, but at the same time, hindsight is 20-20. He didn’t say it before the game or anything like that,” Mayo said. “It is tough to hear that. Like you said, I’m prideful, especially when it comes to defense. We’ve just got to continue to get better and start figuring out people, and that’s what we’re working toward.”
Talking about the defense’s communication issues, Mayo said: “Different things happen on football teams. Injuries are a huge part of communication. Any time you have different guys back there you have to talk to them differently, you have to make adjustments differently. That’s up to us up front, the linebackers, making sure everyone’s on the same page. We take that burden. Hopefully, it improves this week.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video