Jerod Mayo on M&M: ‘Tough to hear’ criticism from Steelers’ Hines Ward
|11.04.11 at 11:57 am ET|
Working his way back from a knee injury, Mayo was on the field for less than half of the defensive plays in Sunday’s loss to the Steelers.
“It’s coming along,” Mayo said of his knee. “Just working every day, trying to get it better each and every day. Hopefully, it continues to improve.”
Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison was critical of the defense and the strategy after Sunday’s loss to the Steelers. Mayo brushed off the comments.
“Rodney’s going to say what he wants to say,” Mayo said. “He’s not in this locker room. I’m loyal to these guys in this locker room. Rodney’s a great player. He’s entitled to his opinion. I think we have the guys on this team and on this defense to be successful and to be a good defense.”
“It’s tough to hear things like that, but at the same time, hindsight is 20-20. He didn’t say it before the game or anything like that,” Mayo said. “It is tough to hear that. Like you said, I’m prideful, especially when it comes to defense. We’ve just got to continue to get better and start figuring out people, and that’s what we’re working toward.”
Talking about the defense’s communication issues, Mayo said: “Different things happen on football teams. Injuries are a huge part of communication. Any time you have different guys back there you have to talk to them differently, you have to make adjustments differently. That’s up to us up front, the linebackers, making sure everyone’s on the same page. We take that burden. Hopefully, it improves this week.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick