Bill Belichick happy with Brandon Deaderick’s performance against Giants
|11.07.11 at 4:46 pm ET|
FOXBORO — For someone who just came off the physically unable to perform list, it was a good afternoon for second-year defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick.
The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder — a seventh-round pick out of Alabama last season — was on the PUP list at the start of the season after shoulder surgery in the offseason. He was activated to the 53-man roster last week, and saw his first action of the season Sunday against the Giants.
In New England’s four-man defensive front, he got the start in place of veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis (who was out because of a rib injury) and finished with four tackles (two solo), including one for a loss in 16 total snaps, according to Pro Football Focus.
“He did a solid job,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said of Deaderick. “Shaun wasn’t active so Brandon did play quite a bit at left end out there because Shaun wasn’t up.
“I thought Brandon did a good job ‘ did a nice job in the running game, used his hands well, played with good technique and he got up the field and got close to the quarterback a couple times. [Kareem] McKenzie is a pretty good tackle, I thought he competed well.”
“I prepared to play, so when the game came and they called my number, it was good,” said Deaderick on Monday. “I just basically prepared every week. Getting better and staying prepared. Make sure I’m prepared to play, whether I play or I don’t.”
Deaderick said he feels comfortable in either the three-man or the four-man front.
“I really like them both. You really have to be able to play everything — to me, it’s d-line,” he said. “Your hand is in the dirt, you’re gone. I’ve played in both (and it’s) not that big of a difference to me.”
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...