Bill Belichick reminded that he’s old and that he was HC of the NYJ for a day
|11.11.11 at 2:18 pm ET|
FOXBORO — It’s hard to catch Bill Belichick off guard.
But when asked Friday by the Boston Herald’s Ian Rapoport about the epic press conference on Jan. 4, 2000 when he resigned from the Jets after one day on the job, Belichick seemed equal parts bemused and befuddled.
Not because Rapoport asked him if it were the strangest press conference he’s ever done. But because at the end of the question, Rapoport reminded Belichick that he was “a lot younger”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Belichick retorted.
Rapoport: I am just saying you were younger, it was a long time ago.
BB: I’m sure you were younger in , too. Any other breaking stories we have going here?
IR: I am wondering if that was the strangest press conference you’ve ever done.
BB: I don’t really rank them but it wasn’t a great situation all the way around, with Bill [Bill Parcells] resigning the day before and me resigning the day after that and all that. That’s all water under the bridge.
IR: Do you ever look back on that?
BB: No. Honestly, I don’t spend a lot of time looking back on that, no.
IR: It was good TV.
BB: At that point in time, that situation, I did what I felt like I needed to do and I don’t have any regrets about that. Certainly a lot of things could have been handled differently or whatever but anyway. It doesn’t matter now.
So, while the two-minute back-and-forth was amusing, it falls well short of the bizarre standard set by Belichick and the Jets on Jan. 4, 2000.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video