Bill Belichick reminded that he’s old and that he was HC of the NYJ for a day
|11.11.11 at 2:18 pm ET|
FOXBORO — It’s hard to catch Bill Belichick off guard.
But when asked Friday by the Boston Herald’s Ian Rapoport about the epic press conference on Jan. 4, 2000 when he resigned from the Jets after one day on the job, Belichick seemed equal parts bemused and befuddled.
Not because Rapoport asked him if it were the strangest press conference he’s ever done. But because at the end of the question, Rapoport reminded Belichick that he was “a lot younger”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Belichick retorted.
Rapoport: I am just saying you were younger, it was a long time ago.
BB: I’m sure you were younger in , too. Any other breaking stories we have going here?
IR: I am wondering if that was the strangest press conference you’ve ever done.
BB: I don’t really rank them but it wasn’t a great situation all the way around, with Bill [Bill Parcells] resigning the day before and me resigning the day after that and all that. That’s all water under the bridge.
IR: Do you ever look back on that?
BB: No. Honestly, I don’t spend a lot of time looking back on that, no.
IR: It was good TV.
BB: At that point in time, that situation, I did what I felt like I needed to do and I don’t have any regrets about that. Certainly a lot of things could have been handled differently or whatever but anyway. It doesn’t matter now.
So, while the two-minute back-and-forth was amusing, it falls well short of the bizarre standard set by Belichick and the Jets on Jan. 4, 2000.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return