Logan Mankins talks penalties, and take a little shot at yours truly
|11.17.11 at 12:42 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Logan Mankins is one of the best quotes in the Patriots locker room. Unvarnished and unfiltered, he never fails to say what’s on his mind. And when he met the media on Thursday in the media workroom at Gillette Stadium, the veteran offensive lineman didn’t disappoint, especially when it came to talking about penalties.
“It’s been pretty good, except for the penalties. That’s kind of irritating. And then there’s been a couple of other plays I wish I could do over,” he said. “The false starts, they’re something that shouldn’t happen. But they have happened, and hopefully, I won’t have any more of those.”
Through nine games, he’s been flagged for the most penalties on the team (six penalties, including two offensive holding calls and four false starts, which have totaled 36 yards). He said Thursday that the last penalty called on him last Sunday night against the Jets “was a horrible call,” a holding call he got when he was locked up with Jets linebacker Bart Scott.
“I’m not even saying that to be funny,” he said as reporters laughed. “It was horrible.”
Mankins is in the first season of a six-year, $51 million deal he signed before the start of the season. He was asked about not having to worry about “off the field stuff” because of his new deal, and when he answered, he gave a specific answer in my direction.
“No, because like in years prior, once I’m here, I’m here,” he said. “But once you get a big contract, people like Chris Price here, they’re going to see if you were playing as good as you were before.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England