In Focus: Charting the offensive opportunities for the Patriots’ skill position players through 10 games
|11.26.11 at 11:21 pm ET|
Every week over the course of the 2011 NFL season, we’ll present a list of the Patriots’ ‘offensive touches,’ a running tally of which one of the offensive skill position players is getting the most looks. Like our weekly look at targets, it can occasionally be an inexact stat, but it remains a good barometer of how confident the coaches (and quarterback) are when it comes to the skill position players at their disposal. Ten games into the season, here’s a breakdown of the New England offense for 2011:
BenJarvus Green Ellis: 142 (136 carries, six receptions) five touchdowns ‘ nine negative plays
Wes Welker: 76 (2 carries, 74 receptions) six touchdowns ‘ one negative play
Danny Woodhead: 63 (49 carries, 14 receptions) zero touchdowns ‘ two negative plays
Rob Gronkowski: 52 (0 carries, 56 receptions), 10 touchdowns
Aaron Hernandez: 42 (1 carry, 41 receptions), five touchdowns
Stevan Ridley: 39 (36 carries, 3 reception), one touchdown ‘ three negative plays
Deion Branch: 39 (0 carries, 39 receptions), four touchdowns
Kevin Faulk: 16 (11 carries, 5 receptions) zero touchdowns ‘ two negative plays
Tom Brady: 14 (16 carries, 0 receptions) 25 passing touchdowns, zero rushing touchdowns ‘ 19 negative plays (all sacks)
Chad Ochocinco: 11 (0 carries, 11 receptions), zero touchdowns
Shane Vereen: 8 (8 carries, 0 receptions), one negative play
Julian Edelman: 6 (3 carries, 3 receptions) zero touchdowns ‘ two negative plays, both runs
Matthew Slater: 1 (0 carries, 1 reception) zero touchdowns
TOTAL: 510 touches (257 carries, 253 receptions) ‘ 39 negative plays (excluding kneeldowns).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Predicting New England Patriots' 2017 Starters After 1st Wave of Free...
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons