At least DeSean Jackson didn’t have as bad a day as Stevie Johnson
|11.27.11 at 11:56 pm ET|
PHILADELPHIA — There were no mock firings of a glock into one’s leg following a touchdown celebration. So, at least DeSean Jackson knows he won’t draw the ire of the NFL office this week before Philly’s next game Thursday in Seattle. But like Stevie Johnson in Buffalo, Jackson was the biggest single goat for the Eagles in an ugly 38-20 loss to the Patriots that all but ends their playoff hopes.
This is Philadelphia, and fans here would reply with something along the lines of: “Yo, you have to actually CATCH the ball in the end zone to have a celebration!”
Not once but twice did Jackson literally drop the ball against the Patriots on potential touchdown throws from Vince Young. The first came in the second quarter with the Patriots leading 21-10. A TD makes it 21-17 and it’s suddenly a ball game just before halftime. But no, Jackson had the ball go through his hands and the Eagles settled for a chip-shot field goal.
The second came in the third quarter. Jackson blew right by safety Sergio Brown — who tried to commit pass interference but missed. Jackson was behind everyone in the end zone and had the ball perfectly thrown to him by Young but he dropped it. The collective moan from the Lincoln Financial Field crowd was deafening.
“Yeah, things happen sometimes,” Jackson said. “As a player, I am upset about it. It wasn’t one of my best games. As far as a couple of plays, I thought I could’ve had them, but at the end of the day, I didn’t come up with them.”
Coach Andy Reid, who heard loud chants of “Fire Andy!” from the crowd in the fourth quarter, benched Jackson after the second drop.
“He has to do a better job,” Reid said.
As for those not-so subtle hints from the typically angry Philly fans?
“I really don’t hear much down [on the field]. I didn’t hear it. The way we played, I can understand,” Reid said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...