Tom Brady: ‘Middle part of the game was awesome’
|12.04.11 at 5:27 pm ET|
When the news broke to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in the postgame press conference that his third touchdown to tight end Rob Gronkowski was ruled a run, Brady (who threw for 289 yards and two touchdowns) was surprised by the scoring change, but he said that ultimately the damage was done — the offense put the ball in the end zone.
‘That was a good play, good blocking. They blocked well for him on that play, so that was great,’ Brady said after the Patriots’ 31-24 victory over the Colts. ‘They reviewed it? It must have been close. I thought it was a forward pass.’
Brady and the Patriots held on for their fourth win in a row after the Colts made a comeback run the fourth quarter. Brady had success running the hurry-up offense, especially as time wound down at the end of the first half. With 1:34 left in the half to start the possession, Brady orchestrated a scoring drive capped by a BenJarvus Green-Ellis touchdown run that ate 1:21 off the clock.
After the game, Brady said that it’s a matter of the offense coming together that makes the no-huddle a valuable option.
‘Offensive football is all 11 guys being on the same page,’ he said. ‘I thought we definitely did that at times today, and the middle part of the game was awesome.’
The quarterback took snaps Sunday from Nick McDonald, who was promoted from the practice squad earlier this week. While the Patriots are dealing with several injuries at the center position, Brady said that McDonald handled the jump to starting center very well.
‘Practice really prepared us for the game, and [McDonald] stepped in there, his first game as a Patriot and did a real good job,’ Brady said. ‘It started with this week of practice.’
The Patriots hit the road for the next two weeks — next Sunday in Washington against the Redskins, and a battle with the Broncos in two weeks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return