Key Moment: Rob Gronkowski gives Patriots a commanding lead
|12.04.11 at 5:33 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The key moment in Sunday’s win for the Patriots came on New England’s first series of the second half. With the Patriots holding a 17-3 lead, New England quarterback Tom Brady steered the Patriots to the Indy 21-yard line (thanks in large part to a no-huddle offense that chewed up an average of roughly nine yards a play on the drive).
With a second and 5, Brady dropped back and found tight end Rob Gronkowski down the seam, hitting the big tight end just as he hit the goal line. (He eschewed the usual thunderous spike in favor of whipping the ball at the wall and slapping five with the fans in the first row.)
“He’s a great player and he does a great job for us, just like everybody else out there,” said wide receiver Wes Welker. “He understands where he needs to be and makes plays in key situations, so he’s been a big help for us, especially in the red area with his touchdowns. He’s such a big target.”
“He is definitely one of the best young tight ends in the NFL,” said Indianapolis linebacker Kavell Connor when asked about Gronkowski, who finished with five catches for 64 yards and two touchdowns.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board
- What Are the Patriots' Long-Term Needs?