Wes Welker wants everyone to know his wrist is ‘fine’
|12.09.11 at 1:43 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Sleeves are all the rage this holiday season.
Whether it’s the one that protected the right elbow of Tom Brady during his reported bout of “tennis elbow” or the ones that Aaron Hernandez and Brandon Spikes wore on their injured knees, the sleeve is in at Gillette Stadium.
The latest player to adorn a mysterious protective sleeve is Wes Welker, who wore it this week at a charity event on Tuesday. He was shown in several photos cutting some wrapping paper with former New England Revolution star Taylor Twellman, with a black sleeve on the right wrist.
Did he suffer an injury recently that caused him to wear the extra protection?
“Wrist is fine,” Welker assured reporters on Friday. “I never wore a brace. I’m not sure where that’s coming from. Whatever [media] think, they think. I’m just out there trying to play some football.”
A soft cast?
“Not a soft cast, just a little lining,” said Welker, who leads the team in receptions with 93.
“Yeah, I guess a sleeve.”
Welker and his right wrist will be ready and raring to go on Sunday when the Patriots play the Redskins, a team that has a good pass rush and the ninth-best pass defense in the NFL.
“I think you have to realize the type of pass rushers we’re going against and understand they’re getting there quick and you have to get open quick,” Welker said. “So, real sudden movements and making quick breaks and getting the initial separation for him to throw the ball. He does a great job of getting rid of it and getting it to you quick and from there, we just have to make plays with it. The tackles have done a good job of trying to give him that extra split-second to throw that ball.”
Everyone will be watching Welker and his right wrist closely.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...
- Former Patriots, Miami CB Leonard Myers Dies at Age 38