Hernandez: Tebow brought ‘a lot of energy’ to things while they were at Florida
|12.14.11 at 1:02 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Aaron Hernandez and Tim Tebow were teammates at Florida from 2007 through 2009. Hernandez, who caught 111 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns in three years as Tebow’s teammate, isn’t surprised his former college quarterback is having the level of success he is this season with Denver.
‘He keeps plays alive and he’s winning,’ Hernandez said. ‘He’s a good player and can do a lot of things.’
Hernandez recalled Tebow as someone who brought a spark to things while they were together at Florida.
‘He brought a lot of energy to the game,’ said Hernandez of their college days. ‘When you have a player with energy, I think everyone [feeds off that]. He’s a popular player. A lot of people like him. … He’s a very unique person.
‘He definitely was a leader. I’m sure he still is,’ Hernandez of Tebow, who won the Heisman when the two were together at Florida, and now has won seven of eight games this season as the Broncos‘ starting quarterback.
Hernandez says the still keep in touch.
‘We’ve talked a few times,’ he said. ‘’How you doing? I’m doing good, how about you? Have a nice day.’’
Hernandez also addressed the comparisons to Tom Brady.
‘[They’re] two different people, so you really can’t compare them,’ he said. ‘But they’re two great leaders.’
As for his own team, Hernandez, who suffered a knee injury earlier in the season, said he’s ‘getting better every week,’ said he’s not amazed at the season his fellow tight end Rob Gronkowski is having.
‘I’m actually not amazed. He did it all camp. He did it all year,’ Hernandez said of Gronkowski, who has 71 catches for 1,088 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. ‘We knew he was a freak of nature, and he’s kind of impossible to guard because he’s got so much size and everything. I’m not shocked at all. I don’t think anyone on this team is.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England