Hernandez: Tebow brought ‘a lot of energy’ to things while they were at Florida
|12.14.11 at 1:02 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Aaron Hernandez and Tim Tebow were teammates at Florida from 2007 through 2009. Hernandez, who caught 111 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns in three years as Tebow’s teammate, isn’t surprised his former college quarterback is having the level of success he is this season with Denver.
‘He keeps plays alive and he’s winning,’ Hernandez said. ‘He’s a good player and can do a lot of things.’
Hernandez recalled Tebow as someone who brought a spark to things while they were together at Florida.
‘He brought a lot of energy to the game,’ said Hernandez of their college days. ‘When you have a player with energy, I think everyone [feeds off that]. He’s a popular player. A lot of people like him. … He’s a very unique person.
‘He definitely was a leader. I’m sure he still is,’ Hernandez of Tebow, who won the Heisman when the two were together at Florida, and now has won seven of eight games this season as the Broncos‘ starting quarterback.
Hernandez says the still keep in touch.
‘We’ve talked a few times,’ he said. ‘’How you doing? I’m doing good, how about you? Have a nice day.’’
Hernandez also addressed the comparisons to Tom Brady.
‘[They’re] two different people, so you really can’t compare them,’ he said. ‘But they’re two great leaders.’
As for his own team, Hernandez, who suffered a knee injury earlier in the season, said he’s ‘getting better every week,’ said he’s not amazed at the season his fellow tight end Rob Gronkowski is having.
‘I’m actually not amazed. He did it all camp. He did it all year,’ Hernandez said of Gronkowski, who has 71 catches for 1,088 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. ‘We knew he was a freak of nature, and he’s kind of impossible to guard because he’s got so much size and everything. I’m not shocked at all. I don’t think anyone on this team is.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know