Wes Welker on M&M: Contract sometimes on mind, but not a distraction
|12.19.11 at 2:23 pm ET|
“I think that’s a key for us, is to make sure we’re spreading it around and make it where they can’t really focus on one guy, and everybody getting touches,” Welker said. “It becomes a team game then. That’s what it’s all about, and that’s how you win football games. I think that’s the way we’ve got to play it.”
Welker’s contract expires after this season. He acknowledged it’s sometimes on his mind, although he won’t let it get in the way of the team’s goals.
“I try to put it out of my mind,” Welker said. “We’re having such a good year this year. We’re in such a great spot. To cause any sort of distraction to pull away from what we’re trying to achieve and what we’re trying to do as a team, it wouldn’t be in the best interest of what we’re trying to do. Do I think about it? I’m human. It’s hard not to. But at the same time, you’re professional, and you understand that. And you want to go out there and do your job to the best of your ability.”
Welker also said he has no issue with people saying he’s not the prototypical receiver.
“I totally understand, trust me,” he said. “If I was picking out a receiver, I would pick out a guy that’s 6-4 and 220 and runs a 4.3, 4.4. I’d do the same thing. But at the end of the day, whether you line up in the backfield, line up in the slot, line up out wide, line up at tight end, line up anywhere, at the end of the day, it’s about catching balls and getting yards and touchdowns and production. That’s what it comes down to.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...