Wes Welker on M&M: Contract sometimes on mind, but not a distraction
|12.19.11 at 2:23 pm ET|
“I think that’s a key for us, is to make sure we’re spreading it around and make it where they can’t really focus on one guy, and everybody getting touches,” Welker said. “It becomes a team game then. That’s what it’s all about, and that’s how you win football games. I think that’s the way we’ve got to play it.”
Welker’s contract expires after this season. He acknowledged it’s sometimes on his mind, although he won’t let it get in the way of the team’s goals.
“I try to put it out of my mind,” Welker said. “We’re having such a good year this year. We’re in such a great spot. To cause any sort of distraction to pull away from what we’re trying to achieve and what we’re trying to do as a team, it wouldn’t be in the best interest of what we’re trying to do. Do I think about it? I’m human. It’s hard not to. But at the same time, you’re professional, and you understand that. And you want to go out there and do your job to the best of your ability.”
Welker also said he has no issue with people saying he’s not the prototypical receiver.
“I totally understand, trust me,” he said. “If I was picking out a receiver, I would pick out a guy that’s 6-4 and 220 and runs a 4.3, 4.4. I’d do the same thing. But at the end of the day, whether you line up in the backfield, line up in the slot, line up out wide, line up at tight end, line up anywhere, at the end of the day, it’s about catching balls and getting yards and touchdowns and production. That’s what it comes down to.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades