Matt Light late scratch after on-field medical test
|12.24.11 at 11:39 am ET|
FOXBORO — The status of Patriots starting left tackle Matt Light came into question about two hours before kickoff Saturday as the team’s medical staff checked on what appeared to be a lower right leg injury. He was officially scratched with a leg issue when inactives came out 90 minutes before kickoff.
Light was not on the injury report all week leading into the game with the Dolphins. He has not been on the injury report since recovering from his right foot injury suffered against the Chiefs on Nov. 21, when he left the stadium in a walking boot.
Team doctor Thomas Gill and strength and conditioning coach Harold Nash were among the several Patriots staffers to examine Light as he went through pass-blocking drop back drills to his left and right.
At first glance, rookie Nate Solder, who has played primarily on the right side as tackle and tackle eligible figured to move over and start at left tackle while fellow rookie Marcus Cannon would get his first career start at right tackle. Donald Thomas, who has played in eight games this season but hasn’t started, figured as the third floating tackle option for the team, and could also serve as a tackle eligible, a role usually reserved for Solder.
But as the Patriots went through their final on-field warmups, Solder lined up at right tackle while Logan Mankins moved from left guard to left tackle with Donald Thomas taking Mankins’ spot at left guard. The thought was probably not to have two rookies starting on the edge.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video