Tom Coughlin returns the love to Bill Belichick
|01.26.12 at 4:51 pm ET|
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ — Probably you already knew that Bill Belichick (secondary) and Tom Coughlin (receivers) coached together with the Giants under Bill Parcells. Three Super Bowls (soon to be four) and seven conference titles later, the two rank slightly ahead of Ray Handley on the Tuna Coaching Tree.
“I didn’t have any doubt that he would,” Coughlin said when asked if he thought Belichick would be a successful NFL head coach one day when the two worked together in New York. “He stared very young and advanced with lots of responsibility at a young age and was constantly preparing himself for what was coming later for him. I didn’t have any question about the detailed, meticulous work Bill did when he was here and the process that he went through when preparing his defensive team.”
Coughlin used the word “exceptional” three times to describe Belichick’s work as Patriots head coach on Thursday, and noted his ability to coach both sides of the ball despite having earned his reputation as a defensive mind. He was asked about his relationship with Belichick in New York.
“We worked very well together, and I think that’s the thing that is most important when you evaluate that time in our lives,” Coughlin said. “We cooperated well, we did an awful lot together, never stopped. I can remember Parcells saying, “Again?” We did work well together, we discussed things back and forth. It was a good time, it was a good time.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself