Tom Coughlin returns the love to Bill Belichick
|01.26.12 at 4:51 pm ET|
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ — Probably you already knew that Bill Belichick (secondary) and Tom Coughlin (receivers) coached together with the Giants under Bill Parcells. Three Super Bowls (soon to be four) and seven conference titles later, the two rank slightly ahead of Ray Handley on the Tuna Coaching Tree.
“I didn’t have any doubt that he would,” Coughlin said when asked if he thought Belichick would be a successful NFL head coach one day when the two worked together in New York. “He stared very young and advanced with lots of responsibility at a young age and was constantly preparing himself for what was coming later for him. I didn’t have any question about the detailed, meticulous work Bill did when he was here and the process that he went through when preparing his defensive team.”
Coughlin used the word “exceptional” three times to describe Belichick’s work as Patriots head coach on Thursday, and noted his ability to coach both sides of the ball despite having earned his reputation as a defensive mind. He was asked about his relationship with Belichick in New York.
“We worked very well together, and I think that’s the thing that is most important when you evaluate that time in our lives,” Coughlin said. “We cooperated well, we did an awful lot together, never stopped. I can remember Parcells saying, “Again?” We did work well together, we discussed things back and forth. It was a good time, it was a good time.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE
- Rob Gronkowski Contract: Latest News, Rumors on TE's Negotiations with...