Super Summary: Friday morning roundup of Super Bowl coverage on WEEI.com
|01.27.12 at 8:55 am ET|
Here’s the thumbnail sketch of Thursday’s coverage of the build-up to Super Bowl XLVI on WEEI.com:
– Looking for an X-factor in the Super Bowl who could offer the Patriots an element that they did not have in Super Bowl XLII? Chris Price says that BenJarvus Green-Ellis could be your man.
– Meanwhile, one difference-making player on the Giants who wasn’t around in the two teams’ last Super Bowl is Jason Pierre-Paul. The Giants took the athletic pass-rusher as a first-rounder, someone who fits perfectly the mold of their draftees. Interestingly, Pierre-Paul represents precisely the type of player whom the Patriots never draft. D.J. Bean explores why in his examination of the different drafting approaches that have allowed the teams to reload for the Super Bowl rematch.
– One other notable change for this Giants team: An explosive receiving corps. Devin McCourty, in his Friday morning interview on Dennis & Callahan, discussed the challenge that New York’s trio of WRs presents.
– Tom Brady was a bit stunned that a private exchange with Patriots owner Robert Kraft became public. Even so, the quarterback acknowledged that he will need to step up his play from the AFC championship game to the Super Bowl in order to position the Patriots to win.
– As for the other quarterback? Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork suggested that Eli Manning has grown into a player who no longer makes “bonehead mistakes.” (It was a compliment.)
– Meanwhile, Chad Ochocinco is impressed that Chad Ochocinco isn’t making bonehead mistakes. The receiver, in an interview with the AP, admitted that he was surprised that he hadn’t said anything silly about his role on the Patriots this year, while calling it a season that has been “humbling” but also an experience that has ultimately been satisfying to date.
– Mike Petraglia tracked down a picture of Bill Parcells in an awesomely 80s sweater to examine the coaching tree that has extended from Parcells to protegees Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin.
– Patriots coach Bill Belichick spoke. Here are highlights. Giants coach Tom Coughlin talked down in New Jersey, where Kirk Minihane suggested he “penned a power ballad to his opposing Super Bowl coach.” (Thoughts on a power ballad to Belichick? One presumes Bon Jovi would be the artist of choice…)
– New England-based BC alums face a daunting decision: Root for their local Patriots team or a Giants team that has made a habit of loading its roster with Eagles players. The Giants feature six former BC standouts, and one of them — returner/cornerback Will Blackmon — joined the Dennis & Callahan Show on Thursday and touted what he described as a “special” Giants team. Highlights of the interview are here.
– What are you doing on Sunday? At Gillette Stadium, you can join the rally to send the Patriots off to the Super Bowl. Details here.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick