Win or lose, Rob Ninkovich is ready to lose the beard come Sunday night
|02.02.12 at 11:50 am ET|
‘Welker just started that a couple of weeks ago,’ he said. ‘This has been going three months now, so I think I have more time invested in the beard.’
The linebacker has been growing out his beard since the Patriots’ last loss — a Nov. 6 defeat to the Giants. Since then, he’s looked more like a Bruins’ blueliner in the throes of a playoff run than a New England linebacker.
‘I decided that I wasn’t going to shave until we won again, and we haven’t lost,’ he said. ‘This is a win-streak beard. The last time I shaved was when we played the Giants. … I have to take it down a little bit. It’s getting kind of long.’
In the hockey spirit, Ninkovich said he tried to get some of his teammates to try and grow beards with him.
‘I saw that last year how [the Bruins] all grew their beards out for the whole playoffs. I couldn’t get too many guys to come along with me,’ he said with a smile. ‘Some guys can’t grow them too well.’
Welker and Ninkovich aren’t the only two garnering attention for their hair this week. Wide receiver Tiquan Underwood sports a high-top fade with a Patriots logo carved into the side. Ninkovich, who said he was thinking about shaving a ‘5-0’ into his beard (his number) said he isn’t going to take a page out of Underwood’s book.
‘I’m going to stay away from getting it lined up. I don’t want to look like Underwood with a Patriot in my beard. I’ll stick to the lumberjack look,’ he said. ‘Hopefully, Sunday, I’ll be able to take it off, trim it down for a celebration. But I’m waiting until after that, after Sunday.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Ankle, Shoulder and...
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction