Following the flags: Breaking down the Patriots penalties for the 2011 postseason
|02.09.12 at 10:03 am ET|
The Patriots were flagged for eight penalties and 53 yards this past postseason. Here’s a breakdown of the calls that went against the Patriots in the three playoff games, not including penalties that were declined or offset. (By way of comparison, here’s a look at the penalty breakdown for the regular season.):
Most penalized players, listed by total flags and with total yardage lost:
S Patrick Chung: one penalty (unnecessary roughness), 15 yards
Team: two penalties (both 12 men on the field), 10 yards
OL Brian Waters: one penalty (offensive holding), 10 yards
QB Ton Brady: one penalty (intentional grounding), 6 yards
DL Vince Wifork: one penalty (encroachment), 5 yards
LB Rob Ninkovich: one penalty (offsides), 5 yards
OL Logan Mankins, one penalty (false start), 2 yards
Most penalized by position:
Offensive line: two penalties for 12 yards
Team: two penalties for 10 yards
Safety: one penalty for 15 yards
Quarterback: one penalty for 6 yards
Linebacker: one penalty for 5 yards
Defensive line: one penalty for 5 yards
Most frequently called penalties:
12 men on the field: 2
Unnecessary roughness: 1
Offensive holding: 1
Intentional Grounding: 1
False start: 1
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return