Agent: Patriots have discussed new deal for BenJarvus Green-Ellis
|02.14.12 at 4:19 pm ET|
When it comes to BenJarvus Green-Ellis, the Patriots have an interesting decision to make.
The running back is a free agent, and while he’s not considered an elite back, he remains an excellent fit for the New England system. He consistently hits four yards a carry, he’s never fumbled as a professional and he’s never complained about not getting enough touches. And this past season, he averaged one negative play for every 19 times he touched the football. When you add that to a thousand-yard season (in 2011), it’s an impressive resume.
But what’s he worth? With the Patriots currently employing a running back in Stevan Ridley who just came off an occasionally impressive rookie season (not to mention another young back in Shane Vereen), should New England gift Green-Ellis a long-term deal? It certainly appears that the Patriots have started talks with Green-Ellis’ agent Joel Segal regarding a long-term contract. Segal joined “Pro Football Talk Live” on Tuesday and indicated that he and the Patriots have had “on and off” talks about a new deal for the running back.
In the context of a new deal for Green-Ellis, Evan Silva of Pro Football Talk Tweeted Tuesday that Kansas City would make a lot of sense as a possible landing spot for the running back. Silva said: The Chiefs have tons of cap room [and] will likely sign at least one [running back]. BenJarvus Green-Ellis logical fit. History with [GM Scott] Pioli. Silva added that Kansas City running backs Jackie Battle and Thomas Jones are both scheduled to become free agents, and said that Green-Ellis might be able to command a deal similar to that of New Orleans running back Pierre Thomas, who signed a 4-year, $11.2 million contract prior to the start of the 2011 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video