NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Boise State DL/LB Shea McClellin
|02.20.12 at 8:46 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
School: Boise State
Weight: 255 pounds
Achievements: Athlon Sports Preseason All-America second team (2011), first-team All-Western Athletic Conference (2010)
What he brings: McClellin’s solid frame and extensive upper-body strength maximizes his length into contact. He has an explosive first step off the ball both with his hand on the ground and standing up. His strong lower body helps him accelerate through contact as well. He is a clever player and works perpetually toward the quarterback. The patience he demonstrates when taking on blocks is paired with his strong hands, allowing him to enter clean into contact. Redirecting and closing on the football is not an issue for McClellin, as he demonstrates great balance and fluidity. His versatility is a plus, as he can shift from the defensive line to linebacker.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: McClellin had 50 tackles and three sacks in 2011, giving him career totals of 130 tackles and 20.5 sacks. In 2009 he became the first Bronco to score on an interception return and a fumble return in the same season since 1999. He missed the final three games of the 2008 season due to a leg injury.
Video: Here’s a highlight reel of McClellin.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...