NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery
|02.21.12 at 1:15 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Wide receiver
School: South Carolina
Weight: 229 pounds
Achievements: 2010 Biletnikoff Award runner-up, 2010 All-SEC, FWAA Freshman All-American
What he brings: Jeffery has the speed, size, hands and hand-eye coordination that make him extremely tough to handle for cornerbacks. His size advantage makes him a matchup nightmare, something Patriots receivers currently lack. While he doesn’t have the top-end speed of a true deep threat the Patriots desperately need, he has the ability to get yards after the catch because he is elusive for his size. Route-running and blocking are his biggest weaknesses.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1
Notes: In 2010, Jeffery broke South Carolina single season records with 1, 517 receiving yards and 88 receptions and he is the current leader in nearly every receiving category. His numbers dipped this season as a junior, but he ended strong, as on Jan. 2 he was the Capital One Bowl MVP in a win over Nebraska. Despite playing just weeks after having surgery on his hand for an injury suffered in the regular-season finale, Jeffery had four catches for 148 yards, including a 51-yard Hail Mary touchdown reception — before he was thrown out of the game in the third quarter for fighting. His lack of improvement in route-running and top end speed are major concerns and his 40 time will be extremely important.
Video: Here’s Jeffery’s Hail Mary TD catch in the Capital One Bowl.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know