NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Syracuse DE Chandler Jones
|02.21.12 at 10:10 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 265 pounds
Achievements: All-Big East first team (2011)
What he brings: Jones, who is coming out a year early, is viewed by many to be a hybrid defensive end who could play some outside linebacker. In the past year he put on 15-20 pounds, making his body more pro-ready. His skill set is conducive to the 3-4 defensive scheme that the Patriots have used during much of Bill Belichick‘s tenure.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1
Notes: Jones earned a first-team Big East selection in 2011 even though he missed the first five games of the season with a knee injury. He was named Big East Defensive Player of the Week after registering six tackles and two sacks in his first game back from the injury against West Virginia. In seven games Jones managed to accumulate 39 tackles, 4 1/2 sacks, one forced fumble and an interception.
His knee injury initially caused his draft status to plummet, with predictions as low as the fifth round. However, ESPN analyst Todd McShay had Jones going to the Patriots in the first round at No. 27 in his most recent mock draft.
“Jones is an under-the-radar pass-rusher with the frame (6-5, 247) Bill Belichick likes in his DE/OLB hybrids, and he’s a gifted athlete who bends the edge naturally,” McShay wrote.
Jones earned academic honors in the spring of 2010. He has two brothers who are also athletes. Arthur plays defensive tackle for the Ravens and Jon is the light heavyweight champion of the UFC.
Video: Here are some highlights of Jones vs. West Virginia.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text