Former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano on Devin McCourty: ‘He’ll be back’
|02.23.12 at 2:59 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Greg Schiano, who coached Devin McCourty while the defensive back was at Rutgers, believes that McCourty will be able to bounce back from whatever problems he had over the course of the 2011 season.
“He’ll be back. There’s no doubt about it,” Schiano said when asked about McCourty Thursday at the NFL scouting combine. “I don’t know … you’re telling me that, and I didn’t know he was having a rough patch. I know he got bumped up a little bit. He’s been fortunate that that hasn’t happened to him very much in his career.”
After making the Pro Bowl as a rookie corner with seven interceptions in 2010, McCourty appeared to struggle at times this past season. (According to Pro Football Focus, McCourty yielded 1,004 passing yards in coverage this season.) He made a part-time move to safety toward the end of the 2011 season and into the playoffs, and appeared comfortable at that spot.
“I know one thing,” Schiano added. “If he didn’t play at the level that he did the year before, it had something to do with it, because he’s as committed a football player in his preparation and the way he takes care of himself physically that I’ve been around. So he’ll be back.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?
- Can Garoppolo Carry Patriots in Brady's Absence?