Greg Schiano: Bill Belichick a ‘special coach’ and a ‘special person’
|02.23.12 at 3:08 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Greg Schiano, the former Rutgers coach who was named head coach of the Buccaneers last month, said Thursday at the NFL scouting combine that Patriots coach Bill Belichick was a “special coach” and a “special person.”
“Bill has been an incredible person for me, not only professionally but I’ve gotten to know Bill; his son Stephen played with us at Rutgers and Bill would come to work out some of our players,” Schiano said. “Every time he visited, I learned a ton, number one. And number two, I felt very comfortable. This is a no-nonsense guy and I kind of think that’s what I am. It’s fun to be with people who ‘it is what it is’ and there are no agendas.
“As these things began to kind of show their head, I called him and asked him for some advice and he was great. I know we’re competitors, I know there are 32 teams, but I look forward to — we’re in different divisions, different conferences — hopefully continue to help each other grow. Certainly, he’ll help me a lot more than I’ll help him. But it’s been a very good relationship. I know it will change now a little bit, but he’s a special coach, as we all know. And to me, a very special person — he and his son Stephen.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England