Greg Schiano: Bill Belichick a ‘special coach’ and a ‘special person’
|02.23.12 at 3:08 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Greg Schiano, the former Rutgers coach who was named head coach of the Buccaneers last month, said Thursday at the NFL scouting combine that Patriots coach Bill Belichick was a “special coach” and a “special person.”
“Bill has been an incredible person for me, not only professionally but I’ve gotten to know Bill; his son Stephen played with us at Rutgers and Bill would come to work out some of our players,” Schiano said. “Every time he visited, I learned a ton, number one. And number two, I felt very comfortable. This is a no-nonsense guy and I kind of think that’s what I am. It’s fun to be with people who ‘it is what it is’ and there are no agendas.
“As these things began to kind of show their head, I called him and asked him for some advice and he was great. I know we’re competitors, I know there are 32 teams, but I look forward to — we’re in different divisions, different conferences — hopefully continue to help each other grow. Certainly, he’ll help me a lot more than I’ll help him. But it’s been a very good relationship. I know it will change now a little bit, but he’s a special coach, as we all know. And to me, a very special person — he and his son Stephen.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...