Courtney Upshaw a fan of defense, so he doesn’t watch the Patriots
|02.25.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — One of the highlights of Saturday’s player availability at the scouting combine came from Alabama pass-rusher Courtney Upshaw.
Given that he played in Nick Saban‘s system, Upshaw, who is undersized (6-foot-1, 272 pounds) but good at getting after the quarterback, seemed like a potential fit.
That’s why it came as no surprise that the Boston Herald asked about the Pats during Upshaw’s availability. The question was about whether he sees similarities between the system he plays and the Pats’ defense that he sees when he watches them on TV.
“Honestly, I’m a Colts fan, so I particularly try to watch the Colts all the time,” Upshaw explained. “Watching the championship game, I’m also a big defensive fan, so I kind of paid more attention to the Giants because I know [Justin] Tuck and my friend [receiver] Jerrel Jernigan played for them. I was really focusing on the Giants. I really haven’t caught too many Patriots games, to be honest with you.”
Obviously, Upshaw didn’t mean to slight the Patriots, but it doesn’t get anymore comically bad than that. Remember, these players are coached to handle these interviews well.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Takeaways from Patriots' Week 11 Win
- Pats' 13th Straight Season With 10+ Wins
- Patriots vs. Broncos: Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Amendola, LaFell, White's Post-Week 11 Fantasy Advice
- Once Again, the Patriots Find a Way to Stay Perfect
- White Has Potential to Fill Patriots' 3rd-Down Role
- Latest on Danny Amendola's Knee Injury