Courtney Upshaw a fan of defense, so he doesn’t watch the Patriots
|02.25.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — One of the highlights of Saturday’s player availability at the scouting combine came from Alabama pass-rusher Courtney Upshaw.
Given that he played in Nick Saban‘s system, Upshaw, who is undersized (6-foot-1, 272 pounds) but good at getting after the quarterback, seemed like a potential fit.
That’s why it came as no surprise that the Boston Herald asked about the Pats during Upshaw’s availability. The question was about whether he sees similarities between the system he plays and the Pats’ defense that he sees when he watches them on TV.
“Honestly, I’m a Colts fan, so I particularly try to watch the Colts all the time,” Upshaw explained. “Watching the championship game, I’m also a big defensive fan, so I kind of paid more attention to the Giants because I know [Justin] Tuck and my friend [receiver] Jerrel Jernigan played for them. I was really focusing on the Giants. I really haven’t caught too many Patriots games, to be honest with you.”
Obviously, Upshaw didn’t mean to slight the Patriots, but it doesn’t get anymore comically bad than that. Remember, these players are coached to handle these interviews well.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself