A look at receivers’ 40 times and what they mean for the Patriots
|02.26.12 at 2:50 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — The wide receivers are done running at the NFL combine. Here’s a quick look at some of the official times of receivers in whom the Pats could be interested.
Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech: 4.36
Chris Givens, Wake Forest: 4.41
Kashif Moore, UConn: 4.42
Marv Jones, California: 4.46
Michael Floyd, Notre Dame: 4.47
Rueben Randle, LSU: 4.55
Kendall Wright, Baylor: 4.61
Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers : 4.67
A few notes:
– That’s a dreadful 40 time for Wright, but he has a reputation for his speed working in his favor. He’ll run again at his Pro Day. Remember, Florida cornerback Joe Haden walked the 40 in 2010 (4.60) before posting a better time at his Pro Day and still went seventh overall and has been a productive player for the Browns.
– South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffery did not run, which is a huge disappointment to any draftnik out there. One of the biggest question we hoped to see answered at the combine was whether Jeffery was big and slow or big and fast. As it turned out, he had lost weight, weighing in at 216 pounds and measuring in between 6-foot-2 4/8 and 6-foot-3. If he can run the 40-yard dash in the low 4.5s or better, he’ll be golden. We’ll just have to wait until his Pro Day on March 28.
– That isn’t a bad time at all for Randle. In fact, it’s right around what was expected of him. For a lot of these receivers — especially the bigger ones, the 40 yard dash can be more about proving you aren’t slow than proving you’re fast.
– Of the receivers in this draft, Hill sure is intriguing for the Pats. Given that he comes from Georgia Tech’s option offense, he’s a good blocker, but he hasn’t produced much. Drops are a concern, but he’s got a good frame and blazing speed. We like him as a second-round pick for New England.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?
- Can Garoppolo Carry Patriots in Brady's Absence?
- Latest on Patriots WR Danny Amendola's Injury
- Patriots Players on Notice After 2016 Offseason Roster Moves
- Dobson Will Be in the Fight of His Life for a Roster Spot in 2016