NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Boise State FS George Iloka
|03.08.12 at 11:16 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Free safety
School: Boise State
Weight: 216 pounds
Achievements: All-Mountain West first team (2011), Athlon Sports Preseason All-America second team (2011), All-Western Athletic Conference first team (2010)
What he brings: Iloka (pronounced Eye-LOKE-uh) played all 13 games for the Broncos in his senior season at free safety, but he does not possess stats traditionally associated with safeties. Iloka did not record a single interception in the 2011 season, but he was second on the team in tackles with 58. His physical frame and tackling ability may lead one to think Iloka is a linebacker prospect, but the Houston native has run the 40 in as low as 4.42 seconds and possesses the kind of elite speed that is needed deep in the secondary. His man-coverage skills and technique have been a point of criticism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Iloka helped his stock with an impressive week of practices leading up to the Senior Bowl, although he recorded just one tackle in the game. He had a season-high 12 tackles in the Broncos’ 37-26 win over Air Force on Oct. 22. … Initially tagged as immature early in his Boise State career, Iloka was able to transform into to a team leader and a hard worker. He has also been described by teammates as an “amazing athlete.” Many have written that Iloka may be moved to cornerback in the NFL, a move he has said he would be willing to accept.
Video: Here’s Iloka talking about his pro future and the possibility of playing corner.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England