NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill
|03.08.12 at 3:58 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Wide receiver
School: Georgia Tech
Weight: 206 pounds
Achievements: Led FBS in yards per catch (29.3).
What he brings: He’s tall. He’s fast. He can jump. He can grab the ball at its highest point. Stephen Hill represents the sort of high-ceiling deep threat that many Patriots fans have been clamoring for since the departure of Randy Moss. While Hill does have elite physical talents as a downfield threat, he remains a raw talent in other facets of the position.
In 2011, Hill only caught 28 passes in 13 games. Hill, however, made those two-plus catches per game count, racking up 820 yards, giving him an insane 29.3 yards per catch. While his vertical skills are remarkable, Hill’s underneath skills and hands have been brought into question
Where the Patriots could get him: First or second round
Notes: Hill is the third mammoth downfield threat from Georgia Tech in that past few years, following in the footsteps of Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. Hill, though, presents the rawest talent of the three as an NFL prospect and, by many draft experts’ accounts, would have greatly benefited from staying for his senior season.
Coming from Georgia Tech’s triple-option-based offense, Hill served a limited role as a deep passing threat to complement the running game. By that same token, Hill has talked on record about enjoying his role as a blocker in the run game and would fit the role of occasionally used deep threat in the Patriots offense if they decide to use a later pick on him.
Video: Here’s Hill’s acrobatic one-handed catch against North Carolina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...