A closer look at the Patriots’ signing of DE/OLB Trevor Scott
|03.17.12 at 8:21 pm ET|
The acquisition of defensive end/outside linebacker Trevor Scott adds depth to the Patriots’ pass rush, and gives them some insurance should they lose either Mark Anderson or Andre Carter in free agency. A 6-foot-5, 255-pound defensive end/outside linebacker who was taken in the sixth round of the 2008 draft out of Buffalo, his best season came in 2009 when he had 43 tackles (38 solo) and seven sacks for the Raiders. In all, the converted tight end has 13.5 sacks in four seasons with Oakland.
However, he’s been slowed since suffering a torn left ACL in November 2010. It ended his season, and since then, whether it’s because of injury or scheme, he hasn’t been able to put up the same sort of numbers: in 2011, he was utilized almost exclusively as a left defensive end. According to Pro Football Focus, he played 251 defensive snaps in 2011 with Oakland (never more than 50 percent of snaps in a game), and had five quarterback pressures but no quarterback sacks or hits.
The future for Carter and Anderson remain in doubt. While both have expressed an interest in returning, the arrival of Scott gives New England some insurance of one of them does not decide to return. (At this point, Anderson appears to be the likelier choice to leave the Patriots — he recently took a visit with the Dolphins. Meanwhile, it’s been all quiet with Carter, save this conversation we had with his agent at the combine.) In a perfect world for the Patriots, New England would be able to retain at least one of them, and utilize Scott as a backup to Rob Ninkovich. (NFL Network analyst Mike Lombardi also noted that Scott could line up across from Ninkovich if needed.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...