Dolphins sign David Garrard after missing out on Peyton Manning
|03.20.12 at 9:16 am ET|
After missing out on signing Peyton Manning, the Dolphins inked former Jaguars quarterback David Garrard to a one-year deal on Monday. Miami is trying to rebuild at the quarterback position after moving on from former starter Chad Henne, who became a free agent after missing the final 12 games of the 2011 season due to a shoulder injury.
Garrard seems to be Plan C for the Dolphins, who attempted to lure Manning and former Green Bay backup Matt Flynn to Miami before signing Garrard Monday. The 34-year-old, however, is expected to have some competition for the starting role. In a phone interview with The Associated Press, Garrard said the Dolphins still plan to look into signing other quarterbacks.
“They didn’t say for sure they were bringing another guy in, but they said it’s a possibility, whether in the draft or whatever,” Garrard told the AP. “It’s going to be a great competition, and I’m all about that. I’m going to do my best to make sure it’s me on opening day.”
Garrard played his entire nine-year career with the Jaguars and started in Jacksonville from 2005-10, running an overall record of 39-37. In 86 career games, Garrard earned a 90.8 quarterback rating and has thrown for 16,003 yards and 89 touchdowns with 54 interceptions.
Jacksonville released Garrard five days before the season opener last year and replaced him with Blaine Gabbert, who was drafted 10th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. Gabbert threw for 12 touchdowns with 11 interceptions in his rookie season and totaled a 50.8 completion percentage. Garrard’s signing completes a quasi-quarterback swap between the Dolphins and Jaguars, as the Jaguars signed former Dolphin Henne to a two-year, nearly $6.75 million deal on March 14, giving Gabbert some competition for the starting job.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return