|A closer look at the Patriots addition of fullback Spencer Larsen||03.22.12 at 8:46 pm ET|
The Patriots have reportedly reached an agreement on a two-year deal with fullback/linebacker Spencer Larsen. The 28-year-old Larsen, an Arizona product who has spent three seasons in the NFL, joins New England after four seasons in Denver with the Broncos.
In Denver, Larsen saw time on both sides of the football, as well as special teams. In his rookie year, Larsen played middle linebacker for the Broncos and had good numbers, especially against the run (according to Pro Football Focus). Since then, he’s spent more time on the offensive side of the football, where he evolved into the Broncos’ lead fullback.
At 6-foot-2 and 243 pounds, he’s pretty much your standard fullback. One thing about his stat line that does stand out (which was initially noted by Richard Hill of Pats Pulpit) is that over the course of his career, he’s caught all 14 of the passes that have been thrown his way over the course of his professional career. It’s not a colossal sample size, but it’s certainly enough to show that he’s a dependable presence in the passing game, when called upon.
Larsen figures to battle the 30-year-old Lousaka Polite for playing time. Polite, who was signed toward the end of the 2011 season, saw 24 snaps at fullback over the course of the regular season and playoffs, per PFF.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/22/13 - Talib: OTAs About 'Getting Down the...
- The Potential Importance Of Jake Ballard
- Four Missing From Second Day Of Patriots OTAs